Friday, September 4, 2009

Reno Police Scour Old Case Records

Missing Person Search - Find The Lost



RENO, Nev. -- Police are scouring old records of major unsolved cases in northern Nevada to determine if any match the profile of the man charged in the abduction and assault of a California girl 18 years ago.

The cold cases include the 1989 murders of two Reno children who vanished near their school bus stop.

Investigators are looking for similarities between numerous cases and Phillip Garrido's method of operation in the case of Jaycee Dugard, Reno police Lt. Mike Whan said. Dugard resurfaced last week in California after being snatched near her school bus stop in South Lake Tahoe, Calif., in 1991 at the age of 11.

"There might not be any link between the cases and him, but we'd be crazy not to look at the possibility," he said.

Jennifer and Charles Chia were kidnapped on the 100-yard walk from the bus stop to their home, Whan said. The remains of the 6- and 7-year-old siblings were found nine months later near Blairsden, Calif., about 60 miles northwest of Reno.

He said the cases under review either occurred around 1976, when Garrido kidnapped and sexually assaulted a 25-year-old woman while living in Reno, or in the several years after Garrido was paroled from a Nevada prison in 1988.

The 1976 victim - Katherine Callaway Hall - told police after that attack that Garrido said he had abducted two other girls, one from the San Francisco Bay area and one possibly from Las Vegas.

"Anything is possible with this guy," Whan said. "This guy would be a better suspect than others based on the prior crimes he has committed.

Garrido, 58, and his wife, 54-year-old Nancy Garrido, have pleaded not guilty to 29 counts of kidnapping, rape and false imprisonment in Dugard's disappearance.

Police say the Garridos held Dugard captive in a backyard encampment of tents and sheds in Antioch, Calif., and Garrido fathered two children with Dugard. Both Garridos are being held without bail.

Another unsolved Reno case under review involves 7-year-old Monica DaSilva, who was snatched from her bedroom as she slept in 1990. Her remains were found three weeks later east of Reno. Her killer has never been identified.

Whan noted the disappearances of DaSilva, the Chias and Dugard occurred in the same general time frame and area after Garrido's parole. Garrido admittedly had a process of finding females and committing sex acts with them, he said.

"During that time period we had those child abduction cases and since then we haven't had any," Whan said. "Kind of interesting."

Hall said Garrido told her the night she was repeatedly raped in 1976 that he had come to Lake Tahoe specifically for the purpose of abducting a girl.

"The whole scheme was planned for weeks," she said he told her.

A federal prosecutor testified at Garrido's 1977 trial that Garrido had tried unsuccessfully to kidnap yet another woman just an hour before he approached Hall.

Garrido was sentenced to 50 years in federal prison but was paroled after serving less than 11 years. He was arrested and jailed from April 4, 1993 until May 10, 1993 for violating parole terms, said U.S Parole Commission vice chairman Cranston Mitchell. Garrido was then confined to his home until Aug. 31, 1993, and remained on federal parole until March 1999.

Mitchell declined to discuss the details of the violations except to call them "minor."

Garrido's parole file shows that Garrido was convicted in state court of marijuana possession in 1970 and 1973 and was sentenced to probation both times, Mitchell said.

All police agencies in the Reno-Tahoe area are examining open cases for any links to Garrido, Nevada Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Gail Powell said. FBI spokesman David Staretz said his agency is working with local police on the cold cases.

"We are currently looking at all unsolved female disappearances/kidnappings and a couple of homicides," Staretz said by e-mail. "We are attempting to track Garrido's activities while in Reno in 1976 and after his parole."

Several Reno police detectives are scouring old records on microfiche, contacting retired investigators and seeking other physical evidence, such as DNA, Whan said.

Reno police are giving top priority to unsolved murder, kidnapping and sexual assault cases involving females over missing persons cases, he said.

The South Lake Tahoe police department is looking at a number of unsolved killings, including that of a 17-year-old girl who was slain the same year Garrido kidnapped and raped Hall, Lt. Martin Hale said.

Washoe County Assistant Sheriff Marshall Emerson said his department is reviewing several cold cases that date back to the 1970s to determine whether they could be linked to Garrido. The department covers areas around Reno.

Garrido hasn't been named as a person of interest in any of the unsolved cases, he said.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

EDGECOMBE BODIES

Missing Person Search - Find The Lost


Rocky Mount, N.C. — The Federal Bureau of Investigation is joining the probe into the discovery of remains of five missing Rocky Mount women in the same rural area of Edgecombe County.

"It is methodically going through tips and information that we hope will lead us to the right person,” Rocky Mount Police Chief John Manley said Sunday of the investigation.

The remains of Jarniece Latonya Hargrove, 31, and Jackie Nikelia Thorpe, 35, were found in a field on Seven Bridges Road between Battleboro and Whitakers. Hargrove, who was reported missing in May, was discovered last month; Thorpe, reported missing in May 2007, was discovered three months later.

Ernestine Battle, 50; Melody LaShae Wiggins, 29; and Taraha Shenice Nicholson, 28; were also found in the same area.

A sixth body discovered in February has yet to be identified, and three other missing women with similar descriptions and backgrounds – Christine Marie Boone, Renee Joyce Durham and Yolanda Renee Lancaster – remain missing.



Bike ride raises awareness of Edgecombe slayings
To help raise money for a series of billboards about the unsolved slayings, a bike ride was held Sunday. The bikers rode through the streets of Edgecombe County, and past the rural area where some of the women's bodies were discovered.

"It was somebody's daughter, somebody's sister, somebody's mother. So it could be you, and you would want someone to help you out," biker Terrance Dickens said.

Family members of the some of the victims recently organized the group MOMS – Missing or Murdered Sisters. It also aims to draw attention to the unsolved cases.

"It's so hard, God knows it is. I stay in prayer. That's what keeps me going,” said Diana Nicholson, mother of victim – Taraha Shenice Nicholson.

Money raised Sunday by the bike ride will join funds for billboards gathered last weekend by MOMS.

The Edgecombe County Sheriff's Office, Rocky Mount Police Department and State Bureau of Investigation are part of a task force looking into the slain women cases. The Edgecombe County District Attorney's Office is also lending support to investigators, and the FBI plans to join the probe this week, Manley said.

Anyone with information about the cases is asked to call the Edgecombe County Sheriff's Office at 252-641-7911.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

MADELEINE McCANN- I NEVER TOUCHED HER


Missing Person Search - Find The Lost


By Cyril Dixon
CONVICTED paedophile Raymond Hewlett broke his silence over missing Madeleine McCann yesterday, claiming: “I’ve never seen her in real life.”
The 64-year-old Briton, who was living in Portugal’s Algarve when the youngster disappeared, had previously refused to talk about the case.
But Hewlett, a former soldier who has served jail terms for sexually assaulting young girls, vowed to prove his innocence.
“I’d take a lie-detector test. I’ll take any test you like,” he said. “The only time I’ve seen Madeleine McCann is on missing posters. And I saw her on TV in a bar once. But I’ve never seen her in real life.”
Detectives working for Madeleine’s parents Kate and Gerry McCann yesterday said they were keen to interview Hewlett.They wanted to clear up suggestions that he had seen Madeleine twice before she vanished, at the age of three, in May 2007.
McCann family spokesman Clarence Mitchell urged Hewlett to clarify what he knows about the mystery as soon as possible. “This makes it even more imperative that Mr Hewlett gives any credible information that he may have about Madeleine to the investigators as a matter of priority,” he said.
“We hope that he and his representatives will see sense and facilitate this interview in the near future.”
Dave Edgar, one of two retired UK policemen working for the family, added: “I have been attempting to speak with Raymond Hewlett to eliminate him from our investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann. He is not a suspect but I was keen to interview him because of his failing health.”
At the time of Madeleine’s disappearance, Hewlett was living an hour from Praia da Luz, where the McCanns were on holiday.
Hewlett has lived in Blackpool and Telford, Shropshire, but moved to a truck on a campsite with his wife and six children. Since then, he has surfaced in Aachen, Germany, where he was treated for throat cancer and where the McCanns’ detectives tried in vain to speak to him.

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Missing Charlotte woman's body found, Richland Co. man arrested




Missing Person Search - Find The Lost


COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - The body of a Charlotte woman who disappeared while in Columbia has been found, and Richland County deputies say they've arrested the man who killed her.

Over the course of the past week, investigators identified 29-year-old Theodore Roosevelt Manning IV as being responsible for the disappearance of Nikki McPhatter.

Saturday WIS News 10 talked with a man who said he would have never thought his neighbor would be capable of murder.

"It really gives me the chills," says Brenda Barker.

Just two doors down from Barker on Bluff Road in Gadsden, investigators search through the home of an accused murderer.

"I had no idea that this was the guy that practically accused of killing someone," she says.

Authorities charged Manning with the murder of Nikki McPhatter, an employee of US Airways in Charlotte. McPhatter had been missing since she was spotted in Columbia on May 6.

Police said McPhatter had gone to Columbia to visit Manning, who she met online.

WIS obtained surveillance video from May 6, taken at an ATM on Farrow Road. It shows someone attempting to use McPhatter's credit card. Authorities believe manning is either the person using the card, or he's in the car.

Friday in Fairfield County off Peach Road, Richland County deputies found McPhatter's burned-out Honda Accord on a dirt road. They found her body inside the car. Officials don't know how long she had been there.

"We were able to identify witnesses that we believe had vital information that actually led us to the vehicle," said Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Rodney Monroe.

Deputies arrested Manning at his home Thursday night.

While they had never spoken, Barker says she saw Manning talking on his cell phone in the yard on Sunday.

"He looked normal, you know, I'm just talking to a friend on a cell phone," says Barker.

Barker never suspected her clean cut neighbor would be a danger to anyone.

"I'm married, but if I were a single woman, hey this guy I'm about to go up and talk to him, because he looked so normal you know," says Barker.

Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said the body's condition requires he identify her through DNA or dental records, but indications are the body is McPhatter. He is unable to determine when she died from a gunshot to the head.

"It's a tough scene, it's a remote area, but we do believe that she's been deceased for a while," says Chief Monroe.

Manning now awaits his bond to be set in a general sessions court while family and friends await the results of McPhatter's autopsy.

Previous Stories:

Friends of missing Charlotte woman look in Columbia
RCSD joins up with Charlotte law enforcement to find missing woman

No Closure for Families of The Missing

Missing Person Search - Find The Lost


News of found remains perpetuates cycle of hope, disappointment
By Erika Slife Tribune reporter
May 31, 2009

Jeff Skemp remembers exactly what he was doing when he heard earlier this month that human remains were discovered on the shore of the Des Plaines River.

In fact, Skemp always remembers what he's doing when he hears that a body's been found.

Skemp is the father of Rachel Mellon, who was 13 when she vanished from her Bolingbrook home in 1996. "You get so used to months and years going by, nothing happens, nothing changes in the case, and then all of a sudden something happens," said Skemp, who was ready to go to church when he got the news. "And it stops you in your tracks."

But when Skemp learned authorities had determined the remains were male, he thought to himself, "Here we go again."
"I handled this one pretty well. I think that comes from experience," said Skemp, 51, of Forest Park.

Families of missing people -- already reeling from loss and absence of closure -- sometimes suffer more than families of murder victims, some experts say. Some drown out the pain with substance abuse, some by obsessively following the cases of other missing people, they say. And news of a found body can send them into a near free-fall.

Nicole Goyette, the girlfriend of Scott Arcaro, a Lisle man who vanished in 2007, was devastated after she found out that the remains along the Des Plaines River were those of a male.

"I'm having a very rough day. I'm sure me and other families are having a very hard time right now," she said. "I wish things were going a little bit faster. I wish someone would call and tell me what's happening."

Experts also say there is a lack of support services for families of missing people.

"No matter what stage they're in, closure is very difficult to find and they continue to experience anxiety and fear and they're overwhelmed by this. ... There is essentially no organization to help these families cope," said LaDonna Meredith, president and co-founder of Arkansas-based Let's Bring Them Home, a non-profit that is studying the impact on families of missing people. "The parents of missing children we found in the study suffer more distress than the parents of murdered children. Even if it's been one year, or 20 years, there's no closure, and there's the 'what-if?' factor."

Authorities are still trying to identify the remains found May 20 by a cleanup crew working along the river near Channahon just west of Interstate Highway 55. DNA testing by the Illinois State Police Forensic Crime Lab determined the sex of the partial skeletal remains.

When the remains were discovered, speculation spread that they could be those of Stacy Peterson or Lisa Stebic, Will County mothers who disappeared in 2007 in high-profile cases. But the news spread just as quickly, if not as publicly, through the tight Chicago-area network of families of other missing people.

"When you get those phone calls, you just get an anxiety level that just skyrockets, with a lot of hope attached," said Susan Olsen, 55, who has searched for her son, Bradley, of Maple Park since he disappeared in 2007. "Every time we get those phone calls it's just a roller-coaster ride. ... It's trying. It's very trying."

The reporting of a missing person is traumatic, but the waiting and hoping really hurts.

"Every time a body shows up, I think, 'Maybe it's John.' And then I can't stop thinking about it," said Tom Spira, 41, whose brother disappeared from St. Charles in 2007.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Missing Person - Marrisa M Davis


Missing Person Search - Find The Lost

Name:
DAVIS, MARISSA M
Nicknames:
Aliases:
Missing Person Circumstances:
RUNAWAY
Reporting Agency:
St Petersburg Police Department
Agency Case #:
2009-37892
Date of Last Contact:
05/25/2009
Date of Birth:
12/12/1991
Race:
WHITE
Sex:
FEMALE
Height:
5' 02"
Weight:
115
Hair Color:
BLOND OR STRAWBERRY
Eyes Color:
BROWN
Scars, Marks, Tattoos:
BEHAVIOR DISORDER (INCLUDES AUTISM, DEPRESSION, SCHIZOPHRENIA, SUICIDAL TENDENCIES (PAST AND PRESENT); PIERCED NOSE
Occupation:
Last Known Address City and State:
ST PETERSBURG,FL
Medical/Caution Information:

Missing Person - Rachael R Anderson


Missing Person Search - Find The Lost


Name:
ANDERSON, RACHEL R
Nicknames:
Aliases:
Missing Person Circumstances:
Reporting Agency:
St Petersburg Police Department
Agency Case #:
2009-37460
Date of Last Contact:
05/24/2009
Date of Birth:
01/18/1982
Race:
WHITE
Sex:
FEMALE
Height:
5' 02"
Weight:
160
Hair Color:
BROWN
Eyes Color:
BLUE
Scars, Marks, Tattoos:
PREGNANCY - PRESENT
Occupation:
Last Known Address City and State:
ST PETERSBURG FL
Medical/Caution Information:

Friday, May 22, 2009

Missing Person- Stephen Jones


Missing Person Search - Find The Lost
Name:
JONES, STEPHEN SHANE
Nicknames:
Aliases:
MCWHORTER, STEPHEN SHANE
Missing Person Circumstances:
RUNAWAY
Reporting Agency:
Clay County Sheriff's Office
Agency Case #:
2009016310
Date of Last Contact:
05/12/2009
Date of Birth:
09/18/1992
Race:
WHITE
Sex:
MALE
Height:
5' 08"
Weight:
150
Hair Color:
BROWN
Eyes Color:
BLUE
Scars, Marks, Tattoos:
Occupation:
STUDENT
Last Known Address City and State:
MIDDLEBURG, FL
Medical/Caution Information:

Friday, May 15, 2009

Family gets missing persons group to join search for Newport teen


Missing Person Search - Find The Lost





NEWPORT (WATE) -- As the family of a missing Newport teen continues trying to find out what happened to her, they asked a group called CUE Center for Missing Persons to join the search.
Megan Maxwell, 19, was last heard from at 4:27 a.m. on Sunday, April 26.
Her red 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse was found on East Highway 25/70 destroyed by fire.
CUE Center for Missing Persons, which is based in Wilmington, North Carolina, sent a team to Newport Thursday to help with the search for Maxwell.
Family and friends held a candlelight vigil for Maxwell Thursday night. On Friday, they put up posters and ribbons on a two-mile stretch of road in Newport.
"We need this community to step-up and help out. Megan is still missing," says her mother, Lisa Maxwell.
She contacted CUE and asked the group to aid in the search for her beloved daughter.
"We have a lot of resources that law enforcement doesn't have and we will be here as long as we are needed," explains Lori Roberts, with CUE.
"Everyone that sees this needs to pay attention. This could be your child. You need to consider that Megan could be your child," Roberts adds.
Megan Maxwell loved tennis, her family and life in general, her mother says. "It's devastating. Each day gets harder and harder."
The Newport Police Department is still following up on leads and trying to talk to a person-of-interest in the case.
If you have any information, call (423_-623-5556.
On Saturday morning, another search effort will be mounted for Maxwell. Searches of the French Broad River near where Maxwell's car was found came up empty.
The state is offering a $10,000 reward for information in the case.
6 News Reporter Kristyn Caddell contributed to this report.